Celebrated annually Feb. 7-14, National Marriage Week is an opportunity to focus on building a culture of life and love and fostering an ever-deeper appreciation for the gift of marriage and the blessings of family life. The week-long celebration includes World Marriage Day held every second Sunday in February. This year’s Marriage Week theme is “Marriage…one flesh, given and received.”
Discover resources for this year’s celebration of National Marriage Week.
Catholics believe marriage is a gift bestowed by God. Marriage in Christ is a source of blessing to the couple, their families and society, and includes the wondrous gift of co-creating human life. “Indeed, as Pope St. John Paul II never tired of reminding us, the future of humanity depends on marriage and the family.” – U.S. Catholic Bishops, Pastoral Letter: Marriage: Love and Life in the Divine Plan
Preparing for Marriage
Preparing for marriage in the Catholic church
Schedule of upcoming pre-Cana classes in the diocese | Preparación Matrimonial – comuníquese con Jose Astua, en la oficina del Ministerio Hispano para conocer las próximas oportunidades.
Read more about planning a Catholic wedding (For your Marriage)
Learn about Natural Family Planning and find classes in our diocese.
Visit the USCCB’s Secretariat of Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth or the For Your Marriage Facebook.
Find a Worldwide Marriage Encounter weekend.
Find more ways to enrich your marriage. (For your Marriage)
Resources to help build your marriage all year long:
- Listen to Marriage Unique for a Reason’s Made for Love Podcast, which tells the stories of real people living out the call to love. Here are some of our favorites episodes on marriage:
- Episode 6: Real Marriage vs. the Ideal
- Episode 10: Men & Women: Not Two Halves, but Two Wholes
- Episode 51: Engagement: Planning a Wedding or a Marriage?
- Three key tips for praying as a couple (CatholicLink)
- Take a look at For Your Marriage’s Daily Marriage Tips and find new ideas to strengthen your relationship.
- National Marriage Week offers helpful ideas for building up your own marriage, recommended reading, supporting marriage in the community, and more.
Facing Adversity in Marriage
Every married couple will hit road bumps in their life together. Some are fairly easy to overcome with skills and habits of listening and respect; others take much time, effort, prayer, and professional help. Don’t lose hope! God is with you and help is available, no matter what you are facing.
Your pastor or members of your parish community can be a source of encouragement and support; consider turning to them. Find a parish near you.
Retrouvaille is a program that provides couples who are struggling with the tools needed to restore hope and rediscover a loving marriage relationship.
Education & Support at the Franciscan Life Process Center
Other challenges in marriage and resources for reflection and support (For your Marriage website)
National Marriage Week Resources
- Share the National Marriage Week Poster, in English and Spanish.
- Pray a rosary for engaged and married couples and families | Prayer for married couples
- Visit the National Marriage Week website
- For Your Marriage | Por tu Matrimonio has a variety of resources for married couples, as well as dating and engaged couples.
- Marriage & Family resources on the diocesan website