POSITION TITLE: Parish Financial Auditor
REPORTS TO: CFO/Chancellor
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
HOURS & FLSA STATUS: Part-time or full time, exempt
EFFECTIVE: January 2023
BROAD STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform financial, operational and compliance audits; conduct reviews of current and past financial operating results; and, perform special assignments related to budgetary and fiscal transactions of parishes, and entities of the Diocese of Grand Rapids.
- In accordance with established audit programs, start and complete financial, operational and compliance audits as well as follow up audits of parishes and entities of the Diocese of Grand Rapids as instructed and prioritized by the CFO.
- As instructed and prioritized by the CFO, perform financial reviews of the operating results of parishes and entities of Diocese of Grand Rapids for purposes of determining financial status and viability as well as potential operating deficits and cash shortfalls. Conduct special assignments related to budgetary and fiscal transactions of these operating units.
- On-going monitoring of parish month-end closings in the ParishSoft accounting system, along with annual monitoring of parish budgets and parish annual reports.
- Prepare and finalize required narrative and other management reports resulting from completed audits, financial reviews and special assignments.
- Assist in discussing or explaining reports issued covering the results of completed audit, financial review and special assignments to pastors, administrators, bookkeepers, parish commissions and councils and other interested parties.
- Conduct financial analysis and feasibility studies as assigned.
- Assist in providing technical and professional assistance to and in developing instructional materials for pastors, administrators, business managers and bookkeepers covering subjects such as church or not-for-profit accounting and management procedures and techniques; internal controls; operating procedures; taxation; diocesan financial policies, etc. Also, assist in organizing and conducting seminars on these topics.
- Consult with the parishes and schools of the Diocese of Grand Rapids in the application of generally accepted accounting principles and diocesan policies in accomplishing their business affairs providing high quality professional assistance.
- Provide help desk assistance to the parishes and schools in the use of ParishSoft software.
- Gather information, prepare and process bi-weekly payroll for diocesan personnel; maintain/update employee payroll records; run various payroll reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration preferably with a CPA license or CIA certification preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years public accounting or internal auditing experience. Non-profit experience preferred.
- Proficient in the use of personal computers and related technology.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills and be comfortable working with a diverse group of constituents including lay, clergy and religious staff.
- Must have reliable transportation and valid Michigan driver’s license.
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].