Directs and manages the overall program of instrumental music for the school and partner schools.
Provides students with an opportunity to participate in MSBOA district and state festivals as well as
extracurricular band activities. The Director must be organized, well-rounded, engaging, and seek
growth and collaboration inside and outside of the classroom. Teachers at Catholic Central are
student-centered, growth-minded professionals who help students develop a deeper knowledge of
the Catholic faith and its relevance throughout their lives, develop a greater love of God, and recognize
the dignity of all people and the value of all creation.
In addition to content teaching, the selected candidate will:
- Teach high school marching and concert bands (Team teaching is involved.)
- Teach beginning and middle school band (Team teaching is involved.)
- Collaborate with the grade school band teacher(s)
- Collaborate with the band parent group
- Guide students in developing basic music theory and sight reading
- Plan and advertise concerts
- Collaborate with the Fine Arts Department
- Collaborate with the head Campus Minister and team, especially as needed in liturgies and performances
- Pursue professional growth and commit to being a lifelong learner
- Actively participate in staff meetings, professional development, and other school wide opportunities
- Be flexible in scheduling and responsive to student and school needs
- Adapt lessons to reach all learners
- Develop and administer assessments that evaluate content knowledge and skill acquisition
- Maintain classroom decorum, encouraging orderly and stimulating student participation
- Provide support both in the classroom setting and during established office hours
- Help to organize and supervise the band’s annual trip
- At least 60 college credit hours required for Substitutes.
- Michigan teaching certification preferred. JX or JQ endorsement a plus.
- Exhibit a strong interest in and concern for quality teaching, ideally with previous teaching experience.
- Be well organized and able to coordinate scheduling and programming of rehearsals and performances
- Have highly effective communication skills
- Demonstrate an ability and commitment to furthering the Catholic mission and identity of the school
- Practicing Catholic preferred
- Understand and respect adolescent development
- Growth mindset and willingness to innovate
- Communicator & collaborator
- Able to balance a variety of competing priorities
Catholic Central High School (Grand Rapids, MI) is rich in both tradition and history. Founded in 1906 by Bishop Henry Richter and the Dominican Sisters, it is the oldest co-educational Catholic diocesan high school in the United States. It draws and benefits from a culturally diverse campus location and student body.
Check us out at: https://grcatholiccentral.org/
Qualified candidates interested in joining the Catholic Central community should submit an application, resume, letter of
introduction, college transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable), and three professional references to:
Jen Quint, Administrative Assistant
Catholic Central High School
319 Sheldon Blvd. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
email: [email protected]
Review of applicants will begin immediately.