Reports To: Catholic Cemeteries Managing Director
Effective Date: 10/5/23
Compensation: $20/hr. plus sales bonus
The Family Services Advisor (FSA) is committed to meeting the goals and objectives of the cemetery. This individual will assist the Managing Director in planning, organizing, coordinating and managing the sales, service, and outreach activities for the Cemeteries. The FSA works as part of the Catholic Cemeteries overall team to ensure families are served in accord with the best practices of customer service and to educate the community on burial options and Catholic Burial traditions. The goal of the position is to provide excellent customer sales and service with care and compassion for the families of our faith community within the guidelines of Catholic burial traditions.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Serve as the representative regarding sales of at-need and pre-need options.
• Provide information and set appointments based on pre-need inquiries generated from advertising and promotional activities.
• Maintain a high level of professionalism with customers, both in person and for every caller.
• Counsel families in the selection process of purchasing burial rights for immediate need and/or advanced planning.
• Follow-up on referrals.
• Develop new revenue streams.
• Communicate available committal inventory and physically show family plot/crypt/niche locations at our cemeteries if necessary.
• Actively communicate and make families aware of related cemetery products and services.
• Educate customers about various products if available: memorial candles, portraits, emblems, flush markers, memorial plaques, floral vase program and seasonal decorations.
• Counsel families by telephone or in office on procedures for inurnment of cremated remains.
• Assist in ensuring all customer service needs (including inquiries by email, telephone, or presence in the office or elsewhere on our property) are met in a timely, accurate and complete manner.
• Identify, cultivate, communicate with, and solicit or when applicable coordinate the solicitation of prospective donors, including individuals, foundations, and corporate entities.
• Attend one or more Outreach events per quarter. Work with the Outreach programs to make connections with high-priority parishes, and to maintain parish relationships and be the main point of conflict resolution.
• Prepare weekly performance reports for submission to the Managing Director.
• Collaborate with the Managing Director on creating and executing a sales and marketing plan.
• Work with the Managing Director to creating competitive pricing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Experience preferred in sales, marketing or related field – 5 years preferred
• Passion and energy for contributing to the growth of the organization and educating the community within the Diocese of Grand Rapids
• Demonstrated high level of customer service skills
• Work under pressure and with periodic interruptions; high degree of flexibility
• Plan, organize, and meet deadlines
• Maintain confidentiality and trust in dealing with sensitive issues
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Ability to manage timelines and project budgets effectively
• Excellent computer skills. Regular use of MS Office, Excel, WordPress, Photoshop and other design/ layout software
• Ability to work well with diverse individuals and balance a variety of needs
• Ability and comfort interacting with a broad range of constituents (priests, staff, faith community, parish staff, Funeral Directors, etc.)
• Must be able to speak and listen in English. The position works onsite Monday through Friday with occasional weekends and holidays as needed.
• Valid Michigan driver’s license and reliable transportation
• Employment in and by the Diocese of Grand Rapids is substantially different from secular employment. Diocesan employees must conduct themselves in a manner, which is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Diocese of Grand Rapids. Their public behavior must not violate the faith, morals, laws of the Catholic Church or the Diocese of Grand Rapids, such that it can embarrass the Diocese of Grand Rapids or give rise to scandal. This position does not require that the employee be an active, participating Roman Catholic. It is expected that all employees will respect Catholic doctrine and religious practices. Reasonable accommodation for the religious practices of employees not of the Roman Catholic faith will similarly be provided.
I understand that the responsibilities listed on this document are representative responsibilities intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by staff members assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities and qualifications required of the position. Assigned responsibilities may change, as needs of the cemeteries change. More detailed listing of duties and tasks may be outlined in supplemental documents.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].