Responsible for the total religious education program of the parish for adults, youth and children as designated by the pastor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The DRE implements the parish religious education program in accordance with the parish mission statement and goals. This includes but is not limited to, facilitating the parish RCIA process, a variety of adult education opportunities, sacramental preparation for adults and children as well as the parish catechetical program. The DRE manages program content, staff and budgets; coordinates with other parish ministries and activities; reports to pastor and parish councils/committees as required. In addition, the DRE shall:
- Articulate a vision of catechesis and the catechetical process based on the major catechetical documents of the Church.
- Review, evaluate, and develop programs, mission statements, long- and short range goals and objectives.
- Implement, maintain, evaluate, and develop the parish catechetical program and curriculum for grades 1-8, including sacramental preparation for First Reconciliation, First Communion, and Confirmation.
- Implement, coordinate, and oversee the RCIA program for the parish, including appropriate formation of children of catechetical age seeking baptism.
- Help the parish community evaluate and carry out its role as a catechizing agent.
- Help facilitate adult faith formation in the parish.
- Implement and support a program of catechist formation according to Diocesan certification norms.
- Involve the family as an essential agent in the faith formation process, especially in the faith formation of children and adolescents.
- Provide opportunities for parishioners to participate in prayer, personal spiritual development and communal worship.
- Initiate and maintain accurate records on students, families, catechists, and other participants.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate volunteer catechists for all parish catechetical programs, encouraging catechists to achieve certification.
- Collaborate with the youth minister and school principal in forming a unified catechetical program for both the grade school and high school students.
- Serve as a member of the parish staff, attending all staff meetings, and maintain a good working relationship with all ministers of the parish.
- Communicate regularly and effectively to the parish, the parish staff, and the parish council about religious education activities, along with attending Board of Directors meetings.
- Connect and coordinate with the Diocesan Office of Faith Formation.
- Engage in ongoing personal faith formation and DRE training.
- Develop and maintain a budget for the religious education program.
- Adjust program components (space, time, materials, etc.) as needed. Use media and technology for effective program implementation.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in theology or religious education
- Two to three years recent catechetical experience in a parish setting.
- Practicing Roman Catholic with a commitment to his/her own faith life
- Well-developed knowledge of Scripture, the Catechism, Church documents
- Experienced in teaching the faith to adults, youth and children
- Able to communicate with all age groups, from varying cultural and social backgrounds
- Skilled organizer and overseer of catechetical programs that incorporate volunteer contributions
- Sensitive to controversial issues and able to respond according to Church teaching
- Familiar with the uses of media and technology for effective program implementation
Letters of interest and resume can be addressed to Fr. Tony Pelak, pastor, and sent to:
Cindy Thomas, Parish Administrative Assistant
St. Anthony of Padua
2510 Richmond NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
or emailed to Cindy at: [email protected]