The Cluster of Catholic Churches is seeking a Cluster Secretary for the churches of St. Catherine, St. Francis Xavier and St. Joseph-wright. This is a 32 hour per week position, with 2 days at St. Catherine’s and 2 days at St. Joseph’s. For more information or to submit a resume, please contact Todd Kline, at [email protected]
Secretary Job Description
BROAD STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Cluster churches of St. Catherine, St. Joseph and St. Francis Xavier is seeking to fill the position of Parish Secretary. This is more than a job – it is a ministry of assisting people of the parish, the community, and the diocese of Grand Rapids. In many cases, this person will be the first point of contact representing the cluster. We are looking for someone who is willing to take this ministry in a Christ-like professional manner, support our pastor and who will function as an enthusiastic member of our parish team.
- Meeting parishioners and the public whether by phone, email or in-person assisting in answering inquiries, questions and needs, redirecting as necessary.
- Schedule and coordinate all events going on in the parish, including the Church, school events, office and parish hall and record on the parish calendar.
- Receives, records and documents any donations, contributions or fundraising money according to parish procedures for cash receipts.
- Collects and prepares weekly bulletin information while meeting publication and printing deadlines, as well as weekly Prayers of the Faithful and Announcements
- Schedules Masses and other liturgical celebrations, e.g., weddings, funerals with the pastor
- Record sacramental celebrations (Baptisms, 1st Communions, Confirmations, Weddings, and Funerals).
- Maintain sacramental records and assure that information reaches the parish census database.
- Work with pastor, family, luncheon committee and music minister to assure that all liturgical, conical, and pastoral needs are met for the particular celebration.
- Coordinate and record the purchase of parish cemetery lots.
- Oversees the opening and closing of the parish offices on scheduled work days
- Opens and distributes incoming mail as well as arranges out-going mail and packages, including bulk mailings when necessary.
- Organize and maintain ministry schedule for Lectors and Eucharistic ministers.
- Other duties as assigned.
This person has no supervisory responsibility, but must coordinate with and work closely with part time personnel and volunteers who provide coverage for the secretarial position when the parish secretary is not available.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Computer Skills: proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, Word, Publisher and PowerPoint as well as being comfortable with the internet, and email.
- Organizational Skills: ability to keep accurate records and general office files in good working order.
- Able to organize and use computer-based files.
- Confidentiality: commitment to keep various information confidential.
- Customer Service: applicant is required to greet the public, answer questions via phone and/or email in a Christ-like, friendly and welcoming manner.
- A working knowledge of social media.
- Successful candidates must have a working knowledge and understanding of the Roman Catholic beliefs, customs, parish life, church structure and the liturgical seasons.
- Self-starter: applicant works alone and must be self-motivated to complete tasks without close follow through.
- Interpersonal Skills: applicant must work with the pastor, parish staff, various parish committee members as well as members of the larger Church, e.g., the diocese and deanery, in a Christ-like, friendly and welcoming manner.
|Job Category||Parishes, Schools|