POSITION TITLE: Tribunal Manager
REPORTS TO: Judicial Vicar
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Administrative Associate
BROAD STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Administration of the Tribunal including preparing case files for the setting of grounds, administrating the Second Instance court, preparing “Rotal” appeals and assisting or substituting for the administrative associate when needed.
- Prepare annual budget and monitor income and expenses, correcting or adjusting budget as needed.
- Authorizes expenditures for payment by the diocese.
- Assists administrative associate in making purchase of supplies.
- Monitors computer systems and requests upgrades as needed.
- Authorizes time of hourly employees.
- Monitors office maintenance, cleaning and repair.
First Instance Case Intake
- Receives cases, determines case type, assigns grounds as necessary, and constitutes the court.
- Assures that documents and testimony and other information is submitted and requests missing documents.
- When the file is completed, assigns the judge and gives him the completed file for the setting of the grounds.
- Follows cases through completion.
Second Instance Court
- Responsible for functioning of second instance court for appeals and ratification.
- Prepares Second Instance cases for trial.
- Prepares appeal cases for trial and refers the case to the Judicial Vicar for a decision on accepting the appeal to trial.
- Communicates with the Archdiocese of Detroit concerning their cases.
- Prepares annual schedule of courts and officers, schedules extra court sessions, and prepares documents for court.
Appeals to the Roma Rota
- Prepare appeals to the Roman Rota.
- Makes transcripts of testimony, prepares copies and arranges shipping to the Rota.
- Obtains documents and testimony.
- Prepares copies are required by the Rota.
- Arranges shipping to the Rota.
- Assists and backs up the Administrative Associate.
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma
- Three years’ experience in administrations and tribunal/canonical functions and process.
- Knowledgeable of office procedures, computer hardware and software (Microsoft) and other office machines.
- Ability to make decisions, work without supervision in keeping the office and cases running in a timely and effective manner.
- Supervisory skills and the ability to work with others.
- Knowledge of Canon Law and procedural requirements governing the process of marriage cases in first instance, second instance and appeals to the Roma Rota.
- Broad knowledge of Diocese of Grand Rapids’ organizational operations and policy.
- A high level of experience, discretion and integrity to keep interoffice and case information confidential.
- Ability to interpret, comprehend, and transmit complicated and detailed instructions in order to perform and plan job duties.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to meet deadlines, to concentrate and pay close attention to details.
- Ability to climb stairs, lift and carry supplies, materials and boxes average 10-30 lbs. along with prolonged sitting, stooping, bending, stretching and standing.
- Ability to treat all persons who contact the tribunal with respect and dignity.
Please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.