REPORTS TO: Chancellor/Chief Financial Officer
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
HOURS & FLSA STATUS: Full-time, non-exempt
BROAD STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Apply generally accepted accounting principles and diocesan policies to assist Diocese of Grand Rapids parishes and their schools in effectively implementing best business practices requirements.
• Review financial records and procedures of diocesan parishes and their schools to check for appropriate application of generally accepted accounting principles, diocesan accounting policies and best business practices in their business operations. As necessary, teach parishes and their schools how to most effectively implement generally accepted accounting principles and best business practices.
• Produce and submit written reports of the parish and school review findings to the Chancellor/CFO of the Diocese of Grand Rapids and the parishes/schools, and follow up with formal visits to ensure best practices have been implemented as recommended.
• Refer extreme cases of problematic situations or concerns that arise during parish and school reviews to the Chancellor/CFO of the Diocese of Grand Rapids for decisions about possible formal corrective action.
• Provide assistance and support to diocesan parishes and their schools by addressing diocesan ParishSoft user questions. Raise system and software product design issues that need evaluation and resolution.
• Provide ongoing, consistent and timely accounting and operational support to parishes and schools through telephone and email availability.
• By providing collaborative referrals and feedback, assist in the oversight of the accounting firm that is contracted to provide business management, bookkeeping and accounting services to diocesan parishes and their schools on an as-needed basis.
• Maintain and update resources in the DoGR Connect Parish Resource Library that is made available to every parish of the Diocese of Grand Rapids.
• Support diocesan efforts to provide the highest quality professional assistance to all parishes in the Diocese of Grand Rapids by performing all responsibilities in a manner demonstrating excellence in customer service.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associates degree in accounting or business or equivalent accounting or organizational management experience. Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
• Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and fund accounting theory and practice.
• Knowledge of ParishSoft Accounting Software or related software experience.
• Strong organizational, administrative and observational abilities, with great attention to detail and accuracy.
• Effective written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills with ability to write reports, articulate accounting solutions and be comfortable working with a diverse group of constituents, including lay, clergy and religious staff.
• Demonstrate decision-making and problem-solving skills and ability to work independently.
• Strong document production, management, filing and deductive skills.
• Ability to teach financial records maintenance and reporting, account balancing and reconciliation, accounts payable processing, check preparation, journal entry preparation, financial statement preparation and budget preparation for multiple entities and churches.
• Training and mentoring abilities with willingness to help answer accounting questions and problems and provide accounting and operational assistance to others.
• Ability to travel to sites throughout the Diocese of Grand Rapids to conduct on-site parish reviews and provide accounting assistance.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.