Purpose of this Ministry:
The Faith Formation Secretary is a skilled professional who serves Christ in our parish by performing a variety of creative, sensitive and specialized tasks within the Faith Formation Department.
Reports to: Director of Faith Formation
Provides direct support to: Faith Formation Director, Religious Education Coordinator, Music Director, Pastor
Collaborates with: Staff and parishioners
Status: Full-time Hourly Non-Exempt
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
The secretary is a minister of hospitality who:
• Provides a warm welcome to everyone who calls or visits the Faith Formation office, clarifies needs, assists them as needed or connects them with those who can provide solutions.
• Is particularly sensitive to the needs of children, youth and parents.
The secretary is a careful steward of God’s resources who:
1) Manages the faith formation office, including ordering department supplies and ensure the office machines are in working order.
2) Accepts payments and keeps petty cash records.
3) Maintains student files and other records.
4) Recruits volunteers to assist with office tasks as needed.
The secretary is a skilled servant who:
1) Provides equilibrium to staff, volunteers and parishioners by executing office work cheerfully, accurately and efficiently. This work may include filing, recordkeeping, bulk mailing, photocopying, collating documents, proof reading, and other secretarial duties as requested.
2) Assists catechists by making copies, gathering supplies and craft materials.
3) Helps the formation director manage the sacramental preparation process by verifying baptismal records, preparing certificates, collecting fees and providing hospitality at First Communion retreats.
4) Supports summer Vacation Bible School by collecting registrations, ordering supplies and providing other support.
5) Assists in keeping diocesan records for safe environment.
6) Applies first aid or comfort to children when needed.
CREATES and COMMUNICATES
The secretary helps promote parish life by using her or his talents to:
1) Develop worship aids for funeral liturgies and other liturgical celebrations.
2) Create fliers, postcards, bulletin boards and other forms of media to promote parish activities.
3) Assist in updating the parish website.
• Post high school education preferred.
• Three to five years proven experience in an office setting.
• Practicing Roman Catholic.
• High computer literacy required: fluent in Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, the internet and social media. Uses advanced software tools (mail merge, pivot tables, conditional formatting).
• Eager learner with exemplary written communication skills and creative design skills.
• Discretion required: must be able to process and maintain confidential information.
• Criminal background and credit checks required.
• Average of approximately 30-35 hours per week during school year, fewer hours in the summer. Involves some nights and weekends including Sundays.
Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrates strong organizational skills, including managing time, prioritizing tasks and taking direction from multiple sources.
• Stays current with technology. Enjoys learning and resolving challenges.
• Works collaboratively with staff and parishioners of all ages.
Send the following documents in PDF format via email to EPost@spxcatholic.org:
1) cover letter; 2) resumé; 3) at least three references
Please include your last name and “Faith Formation Secretary” in the subject line.
Alternatively, you may send a hard copy of these documents to:
Director of Faith Formation
St. Pius X Parish
4109 40TH STREET
Grandville, MI 49418
Review of applicants will commence June 4, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.