Catholic Central High School
Catholic Central High School (Grand Rapids, MI) is rich in both tradition and history. Founded in 1906 by Bishop Henry Richter and the Dominican Sisters, it is the oldest co-educational, Catholic, diocesan high school in the United States. It draws and benefits from a culturally diverse campus location and student body.
Catholic Central High School is seeking a talented individual to join our English department and become part of a high school community that turns learners into leaders. Catholic Central is a co-ed high school with an enrollment of approximately 625 students, offering a student-centered curriculum, and a dynamic, collaborative faculty with ninety-nine percent of our graduates going on to some of the finest colleges and universities across the nation.
At Catholic Central, the study of literature and language provides students the opportunity to expand literacy, critical thinking, and communication skills necessary for college-level study, for understanding and communicating with the world beyond academics, and for lifelong learning. In broadening student perspectives and guiding their growth in writing, reading, speaking, and listening, the English program’s goal is to graduate prepared, competent, and compassionate young adults who confidently and faithfully face the challenges of continued study and of the rich complexity of human interaction.
In addition to content teaching, the selected candidate will:
• Work as a minister of the Catholic faith and uphold values in word and action.
• Pursue professional growth and commit to being a lifelong learner.
• Actively participate in staff meetings, professional development, and other school wide opportunities.
• Be flexible in scheduling and responsive to student and school needs.
• Implement curricula in collaboration with fellow team members.
• Strive to improve curriculum for the benefit of all students.
• Adapt lessons to reach all learners.
• Further students’ reading, writing, and communication skills.
• Develop and administer a balance of traditional and authentic assessments that evaluate content knowledge, grammar skills, and essay writing.
• Employ technology as a learning tool.
• Maintain classroom decorum, encouraging orderly and stimulating discussions and student participation.
• Provide support both in the classroom setting and during established office hours.
• Contribute to the school community outside of the classroom.
• Bachelor’s degree in English
• Teacher certification
As of right now, this is a one-year, full-time position.
Qualified candidates interested in joining the Catholic Central community should submit a resume, letter of introduction, college transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable), and three professional references, along with a diocesan employment application located here, to:
Lisa Doyle, Administrative Assistant
Catholic Central High School
319 Sheldon Blvd. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Review of applicants will begin immediately.