Saint Thomas the Apostle Catholic School is committed to inclusive education practices that enable students with disabilities to attend our Christ-centered school receiving specially designed instruction within the general education classroom.
We are looking for an Educational Support Services(ESS) Director The ideal candidate will work closely with the outgoing Director to provide a smooth transition for our students and families. We are seeking an individual with a masters degree in Special Education and experience working with a wide array of disabilities.
The expectations of this position are:
● Serve as the face of the ESS program at Saint Thomas – talking with prospective parents and coordinating the intake process.
● Ability to conduct formal achievement testing: such as the Woodcock-Johnson IV, Key Math.
● Provide support and materials to general education teachers to help with inclusion in their classrooms.
● Familiar with PBIS with the ability to write individual plans and conduct classroom behavioral observations.
● Coordinate and plan both formal and informal meetings with colleagues in regards to MTSS, PBIS, and ESS .
● Ability to write Individual Support Plans (ISP) and 504 accommodations as well as serving as case manager handling the paperwork and updates on Infinite Campus.
● Knowledge of specific intervention programs such as, Orton-Gillingham, Lindamood Bell
● Work closely with administration on a variety of issues pertaining to ESS.
● Train and supervise a team of teachers and paraprofessionals, completing yearly reviews.
● Invite family members to participate in each student’s educational progress throughout their time at Saint Thomas.
● Develop a schedule that includes appropriate pull-out and push-in support with paraeducators.
● Develop meaningful professional development opportunities for general education staff.
● Coordinate “Circle of Friends” meetings as well as social skills lessons in general education classrooms.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter, along with an employment application found here, to:
Suzi Furtwangler, Principal
Saint Thomas the Apostle Catholic School
1429 Wilcox Park Dr SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49506