The Diocese of Gaylord is seeking a Manager of Communications. The Manager of Communications supports the work of the Bishop of Gaylord primarily in his roles as teacher of the faith and in governing the diocese. The Communications Manager is responsible for planning and managing the work to develop and implement the objectives and strategy for the Diocese of Gaylord’s communications plan in a way that serves to advance the mission of the diocese. This work encompasses communications externally as well as those internally among the diocesan clergy and staff.
Who we are looking for
As Manager of Communications, we are looking for a person whose key responsibilities will include managing and participating in the work to:
- Update and carry out the strategy, policies, and processes for communications by the diocese.
- Create the content for FAITH magazine and other media to communicate the Bishop’s teaching.
- Deliver the content of the Bishop’s messages and teaching, via social media and otherwise.
- Re-imagine the manner by which the diocese makes available others’ teachings about the faith.
- Interact with the faithful, media, and public proactively and in response to their inquiries.
- Update, design and implement the internal platforms for communications within the diocese.
- Develop the annual operating plan for the communications function; report results accordingly.
- Stay informed about and respond to changes in laws applicable to conducting communications.
- Advise pastors and parish staff, as they request, regarding parish and school communications.
What you will bring
As Manager of Communications, the key attributes that you will bring are:
- Bachelor’s Degree with a Major or Minor Field of: Communications, public relations, management or related fields.
- Knowledge of the Catholic Church and its faith tradition.
- Experience – 5 years or more:
- Communications, public relations or related, preferably in non-profit and/or faith-based organization(s).
- Developing, writing and producing content for publication.
- Working in situations that involve interactions with members of the public.
- Working in situations that involve providing advice to others.
- Managing people and operations within a smaller team environment.
- Understand, appreciate and carry out responsibilities within the frameworks of the Catholic Church and its faith tradition.
- Communicate clearly using words and images in print, digital and social media.
- Work effectively as part of a team and in so doing meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in current communications tools and practices; including print media a plus.
- Knowledge of video (e.g., filming) and audio (e.g., podcast) production a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Word; proficiency in publishing and/or database software a plus.
- English language skills.
- Perform work in an office setting; evening and weekend work on occasion.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and the Diocese of Gaylord Job Application to the diocese to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. References and a background check are part of the interview process. If the diocese proceeds with your application, then these will be requested at a later time.
Closing Date: October 21, 2019.
We may conduct interviews prior to the closing date, so please apply without delay if you feel your skills and experience match our needs.