Dominican Sisters ~ Grand Rapids (DSGR) seeks a talented, innovative, positive and thoughtful individual for the position of Associate Archivist. This role is designed to Assist the Archives Department in supporting the mission of DSGR and fulfilling its goal of safeguarding the legacy of the congregation. This person should have a proven work history demonstrating the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ideal applicants should possess knowledge and experience in archives, outreach, and working with various stakeholders to ensure the acquisition and management of congregational records and other historical materials. Some major responsibilities of this position include: • Promoting awareness and knowledge of the history and legacy of the Dominican Sisters ~ Grand Rapids • Digitize collections and advance accessibility • Assist in the design and curation of exhibits and displays • Assist the Director in decisions and processes to prepare the archives for eventual consolidation with other archives of women religious in the United States • Facilitate and administrate archival work in the absence of the Director • Maintain and update the content management system database • Update and maintain the archival electronic records (implementing data security measures) • Maintain departmental presence on website, social media and other web sharing applications • Other duties as requested by the Director, e.g., respond to queries, advise departments on records management, assist Director in planning annual budget
About where we are located
Living in Grand Rapids offers residents the opportunity to experience a historic and thriving city recently rated as one of the top 100 best places to live (https://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019/mi/grand-rapids).
Grand Rapids scenic riverfront and nearby beaches are major attractions for locals and tourist alike. Time invested in personal pursuits such as music, art, museums, shopping, food, hiking, bicycling, nature, sports/water sports, festivals and more, are a number of the many things keeping people moving to or returning to Grand Rapids.
If this sounds like a life you can enjoy and you meet the qualifications below, we would love to hear from you! We invite interested individuals to send us a cover letter and resume as directed further below.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Master’s degree in library science or public history or equivalent experience
• Minimum of three years of experience in archival work
• Advanced understanding of archival collection practices, accessioning, cataloging, preserving, processing, organizing, and storing historical documents, objects, and photographs (archival certification is a plus)
• Ability to execute low-risk preservation processes, e.g., repairs, small restoration projects, deconstruction and rehousing photographs and documents
• Ability to write Finder’s Aid for collections in the archives
• Ability to work independently, manage projects and take initiative as appropriate
• Ability to use Adobe Photoshop and other imaging software and hardware
• Ability to photograph objects and documents to embed in the database
• Moderate to advanced experience with Microsoft Suite applications
• Moderate to advanced experience with our Content Management System, Past Perfect
• Willingness to learn about the culture and traditions of the Dominican Sisters ~ Grand Rapids as well as other congregations of women religious in the USA
• Resonance with the core values of the Congregation which are: the dignity of all persons, service, stewardship, collaboration, hospitality, inclusion, and willingness to learn
• Adherence to ethical standards for archives and commitment to maintain confidentiality
• Able to lift boxes up to 40 pounds.
• Ability to climb ladders to move boxes on top shelves.
• Strength to open and close heavy file cabinet drawers.
This position is full-time, salary exempt. Expected work-week hours are 30-40 hours a week between 8AM to 4:30PM, Monday through Friday. This person will report to the Director of Archives and at times may supervise volunteers and researchers.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Dominican Sisters – Grand Rapids
2025 E. Fulton Street
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3895