Position Title: Archivist – Chancellor’s Office/Diocesan Archives
Reports To: Chancellor
Supervises: Two archives volunteers
Effective Date: April 2019
Hours: Part-time, 19 hours per week
BROAD STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Collect, arrange, and preserve the archival collections of the Diocese of Grand Rapids; maintain the records of closed parishes and schools and supervise the use of these records in accordance with policy; serve as a resource for the history of the Diocese of Grand Rapids for Chancery, its parishes, other Catholic and non-Catholic entities, and to oversee and perform research in this regard.
• Ensure physical, intellectual, and environmental control of all records in archives.
• Collect, arrange, describe, and preserve diocesan records.
• Collect and maintain sacramental records from closed parishes and provide certificates upon request.
• Maintain confidentiality of all restricted access files kept in the archives.
• Supervise the workflow of the Archives volunteers; the Chancellor will continue to approve absences.
• Work with the Department of Human Resources to identify the Student Interns and supervise workflow and absences.
• Provide research services for Chancery, parishes, and other institutions. In the case of research for non-Catholic institutions, the Chancellor must be consulted.
• With the assistance of other diocesan departments, coordinate the collection of data and the submission of the annual report to the Official Catholic Directory, as requested.
• Periodically review and update archives policies.
• Identify, implement, and utilize computer programs as necessary for the operations of Diocesan Archives in keeping with archival standards.
• Assist researchers in the office (by appointment).
• Provide consultative services to parishes regarding historical information and maintaining their parochial records, as needed. Advise parish staffs on maintaining sacramental records in accordance with canon law and diocesan policies.
• Provide talks and workshops on archival topics, as requested and approved by the Chancellor.
• Carry out other tasks, as assigned by the Chancellor.
• Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
• Graduate degree in History, Library Science, or related field.
• Knowledge of Catholic Church history and West Michigan / Diocese of Grand Rapids history.
• Three to five years’ experience preferred.
• Knowledge of current archival theory and practice.
• Must have good oral and written communications skills.
• Must be able to work effectively with others and independently.
• Must have strong computer skills.
• Must be able to lift/carry boxes up to 40 pounds.
• Must be willing to take an Oath of Confidentiality.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org